Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Harry, Larry, and Fluffy: A Tale of Great Sacrifice



I hope you enjoy this youth drama I wrote for my friend's Steven's church. It was presented at the Arkansas Assembly of God drama contest in 2010. Thanks for reading.



Larry
is a nervous overachiever. Harry is his calm friend. Fluffy is a stuffed animal, preferably fluffy and white.

(Larry nervously enters, grabs stuffed cat by the tail and raises toy sword over his head. Harry enters, is shocked by what he sees, and runs to Larry.)

Harry: Larry! What are you doing?

Larry: Something that I should have done a long time ago.

Harry: What are you going to do with that knife?

Larry: Stand back, Harry! This could get ugly.

Harry:
But what are you doing?

Larry: I (long dramatic pause) am going to sacrifice Fluffy’s tail!

Harry: You’re gonna do what?

Larry: Yes, Larry. (Melodramatically) I am going to sacrifice my dear beloved cat Fluffy’s tail!

Harry: Why would you want to sacrifice your cat’s tail?

Larry: It’s what I must do, Harry. We all have to sacrifice something sooner or later. And don’t you dare try to stop me…

Harry: But…

Larry: Like I said, you had better not try to stop me! Don’t you dare try to stop me.

Harry:
You’re not seriously…

Larry:
Harry! Don’t try to stop me! Don’t you dare try to stop me!

Harry: All right, I won’t try. What’s one less cat’s tail, anyway?

Larry:
Harry?

Harry: What?

Larry: (changing his tone) Try to stop me. Please try to stop me.

Harry: Well, I, uh… (Ponders for a moment, then adds nonchalantly) No, I won’t do it. You seem to know what you’re doing. You must have thought this through. Just try not to make a mess. You know how your mom hates a messy room.

(Harry starts to leave. Larry drops the knife, grabs Fluffy and runs after Harry.)


Larry: Wait, Harry! Wait!

Harry: (Turns to face Larry) What?

Larry: Didn’t you hear me? I said that I was going to sacrifice Fluffy’s tail!

Harry: Yeah, I heard you.

Larry: But you didn’t try to stop me!

Harry: You asked me not to.

Larry: Yeah, but then I changed my mind. Why didn’t you stop me?

Harry: (smiles) It looks to me like I did stop you.

Larry: (drops jaw) You did stop me! Oh, thank you!

(Larry and Harry sit)


Harry: Larry?

Larry:
Yeah.

Harry:
Why were you going to cut off your cat’s tail?

Larry: Well, I’ve been reading through the Bible this year and I’ve been in the Old Testament for weeks now, and all that they talk about is how you’ve got to make some type of animal sacrifice to atone for your sins.

Harry: Yeah, Old Testament people did have to make animal sacrifices, but…

Larry:
(interrupts) You know that the only animal I have is Fluffy.

Harry: Okay, I see where you got the idea, but…

Larry: I thought about sacrificing Fluffy all the way, but I just couldn’t bring myself to kill her because she’s just so, uh, uh…

Harry: Fluffy?

Larry:
Yeah, so instead I thought that I would cut off her tail as a sacrifice.

Harry: (shakes his head) I can’t believe you.

Larry: What?

Harry: First, you know that Jesus died on the cross to atone for your sins?

Larry: Yeah, I know that and I asked for forgiveness for my sins.

Harry: Then why were you going to cut off your cat’s tail?

Larry: I guess I was still feeling guilty and far from God.

Harry: (Shakes his head in disbelief) It doesn’t matter how you feel, Larry. It matters that you’re forgiven. You said that you asked for forgiveness, right?

Larry:
Yeah.

Harry:
Then God forgave you.

Larry: (Starts to cry. Speaks to Fluffy) Did you hear that Fluffy? You get to keep your tail!

Harry:
Secondly, if you cut off Fluffy’s tail, she would have been the one making the sacrifice.

Larry:
(Raises one eyebrow) Oh yeah.

(Harry and Larry Exit. Larry runs back, picks up Fluffy and exits, holding Fluffy close.)

No comments:

Post a Comment