Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Mountains



I raise my eyes toward the mountains. Where will my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1-2 HCSB

When thro’ the woods and forest glades I wander, And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees; When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur, And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze: Then sings my soul, my Savior God to Thee; How great Thou art, how great Thou art! Stuart K. Hine*

Recently, I was visiting with an older woman who lived in the mountains. While in her home, I noticed a beautiful wooden plaque which stated, “I will raise mine eyes unto the hills from whence cometh my help.” Next to it was a second plaque which was much more simple and rough in appearance which stated, “My help comes from the Lord!” Curious, I asked her about the two plaques.

“A young lady made the first one for me,” she replied. “Isn’t it beautiful? Unfortunately, it is incomplete. My help doesn’t come from the mountains, but from the Lord, who made the mountains.”

Lord, our help comes from You and You alone.

*How Great Thou Art, stanza 2

No comments:

Post a Comment