Friday, April 23, 2010

Trading Places



He made the One who did not know sin to be sin for us, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. 2 Corinthians 5:21 HCSB

I lowered the novel I was reading just in time to see Billy, Tommy, Scott and Albert wrestling around the back corner of the building.

“Those guys are going to get in trouble,” I said to myself. “They know we’re not supposed to wrestle or go back there.”

Ring…

Too soon as always, the bell signaling the end of recess sounded. I walked to the 5th grade line with my fellow students and waited to return to class. Instead of leading us back into the building, Miss Jones, the teacher’s aide in charge of recess, made an announcement.

“Everyone may go back to class except for Billy, Tommy, Scott and John. They were wrestling around the back corner of the building.”

All of the other kids, including Albert, said “Oooooooo!” as they walked to class.

“Miss Jones,” I cried. “It wasn’t me. I was by the tree reading this book.”

“No,” she answered. “I’m certain that it was you.”

“I’m telling you the truth,” I cried.

“Boys, you know that you are not supposed to wrestle or go behind the back of the building. As your punishment, each of you will write I will follow the rules during recess 500 times. And John will write it 750 times because he lied about it.”

“But I didn’t, Miss Jones!” I blurted out.

“Excuse me,” she said. “I meant that he will write it 1,000 times.”

When all was said and done, I ended up taking the punishment for someone else. I was mad at Albert, Miss Jones, and all of the other boys who said nothing.

Later in my life, I realized that Jesus took the punishment that was meant for me. However, unlike me, He willingly accepted the consequences for my sin. He so wanted me to have the opportunity to be righteous in the eyes of His Father that He made the ultimate sacrifice while I was still sinning against Him. And He did it all with a good attitude.

Jesus, thank You for becoming my sin so that I might become righteous through You.

No comments:

Post a Comment