Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Polaroid




Above all, keep your love for one another at full strength since love covers a multitude of sins.
1 Peter 4:8 HCSB

The only way to have a friend is simply be his friend. Ralph Waldo Emerson*

It was 1979. I was in fifth grade on a school field trip when my friend Brian pulled out his Polaroid instant camera and started taking pictures. Trying to be funny, I threw my left hand in front of the camera just as Brian snapped a picture. As the picture slowly came into view, my hand was the only image that could be distinguished.

Brian was furious and yelled, “Do you know how much this film costs? You owe me a dollar!”

Ashamed of what I had done and embarrassed that I didn’t have a dollar, I ran away and tried to avoid Brian as best I could. After a few weeks, he stopped asking me about the dollar, but I didn’t stop avoiding him. I wanted to apologize, but I never did. Brian and I never did anything together again.

Looking back now, I realize that I gave up a friendship because of fear, pride and money.

Lord, help us to treasure our friends.

*brainyquote.com

No comments:

Post a Comment