Saturday, November 28, 2009

Slow



My dearly loved brothers, understand this: everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger, for man’s anger does not accomplish God’s righteousness. James 1:19-20 HCSB

Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame. Benjamin Franklin*

When I read the scripture above, two words stick out to me: “quick” and “slow.” Like many temperamental artists, I enjoy and understand “quick”. I can be quick to hear, which according to James is good, but many times I don’t choose to hear that way. If I am quick to hear, then I’m often swiftly moved away from my own preconceived ideas, which I desperately feel I need to hold on to. I’m an artist! Sometimes my convictions are all that I have, even if they are false. But I’m also sometimes quick to speak and quick to become angry, which is not good. Because I’m sometimes quick to speak, I can offend people. Because I’m sometimes quick to anger, I can get into arguments with others and they usually become angry. I’m not good at “slow” at all, but I’ve got “quick” down.

Lord, help us be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger.

*thinkexist.com

No comments:

Post a Comment