Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Arrogant Eyes



Six things the Lord hates; in fact, seven are detestable to Him: arrogant eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that plots wicked schemes, feet eager to run to evil, a lying witness who gives false testimony, and one who stirs up trouble among brothers. Proverbs 6:16-19 HCSB

The image of the Lord had been replaced by a mirror. Jorge Luis Borges*

When I was in high school, I was in awe of many Christian musicians. They had a confidence about them that I knew could only come from the Lord. I could see it in their eyes. I wanted to be one of them.

When I first went to college, I was surrounded by an ocean of confident, talented musicians. I realized that their confidence came more from their effort than their devotion to the Lord. I could see it in their eyes. I worked hard to become like them.

Years later, I passed a mirror and didn’t recognize myself. My passion for my own talent had replaced the Lord’s presence in my life. I could see it in my eyes. What had I become?

Lord, help us never replace Your presence with our own arrogance.

*thinkexist.com

No comments:

Post a Comment