Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Names



Before I formed you in the womb I knew you. Jeremiah 1:5 NIV

Once, when I was in Indonesia, I went to a Bible study where I noticed a young boy sitting by himself. I asked his name and was surprised when he answered, “John.” I smiled and told him that we shared the same first name. John must be a teenager by now, but I still pray for him when he crosses my mind.

During that same trip, I noticed a young girl on a downtown street begging for money. Her face was dirty, her clothes were torn, and she looked sleepy. I turned away, not knowing what to do. When I regained my composure and turned back, she was gone. I never had the chance to learn her name, but I still pray for her.

Fortunately, God knows the name of that little girl. He knows the names of all the children, teenagers, and adults who have ever lived and ever will live. He cares about children in Indonesia and he cares about our neighbors and family members who are hurting.

Lord, thank You for loving us so much. Thank You for knowing our names.

No comments:

Post a Comment