Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Not To Us



Not to us, Lord, not to us, but to Your name give glory because of Your faithful love, because of Your truth. Psalm 115:1 HCSB

How quickly we forget what it’s all about. We can get so strategic that we worship so our church will grow, not because He is worthy. But we’re doing this because God is worthy and we want to worship Him. Tommy Walker*

I hate to admit it, but sometimes I have to evaluate my motives for the times of worship that I produce. Do I secretly want people to engage in worship so they will invite all of their friends so that there will be bigger crowds so that everyone will give more money so I will get a really nice raise? Engaging in worship is necessary, inviting friends to worship is a good thing, and bigger crowds and larger offerings are great. There’s not even anything wrong with pay raises. However, when we see these items as the main reasons for worship, something is out of balance. The glory doesn’t belong to us, but to the Lord.

Forgive us, Lord, for the times when we selfishly try to steal your glory.

*experiencingworship.com

No comments:

Post a Comment