Saturday, May 14, 2011

Midnight



About midnight, Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them. Suddenly, there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the jail were shaken, and immediately all the doors were opened, and everyone’s chains came loose. Acts 16:25-26 HCSB

The day could have been better for Paul and Silas. They were dragged to the authorities, accused of disrupting the peace, beaten with rods, and thrown into prison with their feet secured in stocks. Most people would call that a very unproductive day. However, Paul and Silas reacted quite differently. In fact, in a moment that should have been filled with despair, they opted to spend their time in prayer and worship.

If it had been me, I probably would have said, “What? Pray? Excuse me! My arms are bruised from where they dragged me, my back is covered with welps from the rods, and these stocks are very uncomfortable on my feet. You go ahead. And by the way, it’s midnight. I just don’t feel like praising Him right now.”

No wonder I haven’t experienced many earthquakes lately.

Lord, when we find ourselves in pain and in trouble, remind us that it’s time to worship You.

No comments:

Post a Comment