Saturday, January 23, 2010

Goop



Have mercy on me, O God, because of Your unfailing love. Because of Your great compassion, blot out the stain of my sins. 2 Wash me clean from my guilt. Purify me from my sin. Psalm 51:1-2

9 Remove the stain of my guilt. 10 Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a right spirit within me. 11 Do not banish me from Your presence, and don't take Your Holy Spirit from me. 12 Restore to me again the joy of Your salvation, and make me willing to obey You. Psalm 51:9b-12

Have you ever accidentally spilled gasoline on yourself? It’s irritating, isn’t it? Last time it happened to me, I was at a gas station filling my tank. I pulled the pump out too fast and gasoline drenched my hands. I ran into the station to wash them but the restroom was out of order. So, I wrapped some napkins around my fingers and drove home. At home, I ran into my bathroom and scrubbed my hands in white foamy soap. But when I rinsed my hands, the smell was still there. Frustrated, I drove to the hardware store where I learned about a hand cleaner called Goop. Right there in the store, I rubbed it on my hands and was finally free of the stench.
In many ways, sin is like the smelly gasoline that spilled on my hands. We don’t mean to get so involved with it, but somehow, we find ourselves soaked completely with its stench and realize that is noticeable to everyone around us. We try to cover it up with temporary fixes, but they don’t last. Finally, at the end of ourselves, we come to the realization that the only sin cleaner that totally frees us from the stench of our own sin is the cleansing blood of Jesus.
When sin completely overwhelms you, cry out to the Lord. Confess your sin to Him. Ask Him to forgive you of your sin, to create a clean heart within you, and to remove the stain of your guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment