Friday, January 22, 2010

Vulnerable



Love your neighbor as yourself. Luke 10:27 NIV

To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly be broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one. C.S. Lewis*

Kathy and I were friends before we started dating. When I realized that there was an attraction between us, I was nervous. I didn’t want to do anything that might hinder our friendship, so I took things really slow. She had patience with me and I finally mustered up the courage to risk beginning a romantic relationship with her. A year later, I got scared and broke up with her. I spent a miserable summer in another state wishing I hadn’t done it. When I returned, I chased after her fiercely until she was not only my girlfriend, but my wife. Why? Because I knew she was worth the risk.

Jesus commanded us to love others as ourselves. He knew that loving our neighbors would be risky for us. He knew that we might even get hurt. He also knew that the risk was worth it.

Lord, help us to risk loving our neighbors as ourselves.

*The Four Loves

No comments:

Post a Comment