Monday, May 4, 2009

Proclaim With Me

“Proclaim with me the Lord’s greatness; let us exalt His name together.” Psalm 34:3 HCSB

“Not everyone can lead worship.” Michael W. Smith*

The following is a conversation I had while I was in seminary (several years ago):

Bill: Hey, John.

John: Hey, Bill. What’s up?

Bill: I was just thinking about that church where you serve. What is it that you do there again?

John: I’m the worship leader.

Bill: Yeah, that. That’s a strange title. Most churches don’t have worship leaders.

John: You’re absolutely right, Bill.

Things have changed a lot since that time. Now, every week, I meet at least one person who tells me that they want to be a worship leader. What many of them are actually saying is, “I’m really talented and I want to play and sing in front of a large group of people.” There’s nothing wrong with being talented and wanting to perform, but leading worship is something completely different. When someone is the worship leader, it is his responsibility to lead a group of people from where they are into the presence of God.

Lord, help us as we lead others into Your presence.

*brainyquote.com

1 comment:

  1. Hey John...well said!

    Welcome to what I call "Blogville"

    Bless...Shell
    (I go by Shell on my blog to "protect the innocent" I also don't name my hubby or children)

    ReplyDelete