Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Timing

Timing

“There is an occasion for everything, and a time for every activity under heaven.” Ecclesiastes 3:1 HCSB

“Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.” Cowboy Proverb*

Recently, my wife and I went to the movies to see the latest science fiction film. About an hour into the film, in the middle of a battle scene, the movie stopped, the lights came up, and the movie previews started to play. As the crowd began to grow impatient, one lady said, “This is not a very good setup for a sequel.” As I looked back at the projector, I could see the shadows of the movie technicians working feverishly to remedy the situation. Before long, the movie was up and going again.

Similar situations happen all of the time in worship services. A pastor sets up a video illustration, steps aside so it can play, and nothing happens. Hundreds, sometimes thousands of people, look back at the tech area to show their disapproval and see someone working feverishly to remedy the situation.

Timing is extremely important in worship. Everyone, from the pastor to the a/v technician, must realize its importance.

Lord, help us with our timing.

*thinkexist.com

2 comments:

  1. John, I don't know if you'll even remember me or not. I grew up in Foreman FBC. Maiden name was Sanders, sister to Lisa and Beth. Found your blog thru Aunt June. Good to see you still faithfully following our Savior. He seems to be dealing with me too on this timing thing. I'm finding that timing is turning into a trusting thing. Every turn starts with one step in the right direction. Ever, in His timing, may He grow my faith because He is worthy of that trust. May He bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, I remember you Tracy. I hope that I could be an encouragement to you. May God bless you and your family as well.

    ReplyDelete