Friday, June 5, 2009

Covet



“Do not covet your neighbor’s house. Do not covet your neighbor’s wife, his male or female slave, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.” Exodus 20:17 HCSB

“Envy is the art of counting the other fellow’s blessings instead of your own.” Harold Coffin*

His home was in an enormous subdivision of castles. His car was red, shiny, fast, and expensive. His family was blond, friendly, and adorable. I even liked his dog. During a choir fellowship, I sat in his living room quietly coveting the life of my friend. I wanted his things. I wanted his family. I wanted his life.

Have you ever been jealous of something that someone else owned? It’s a situation where many of us occasionally find ourselves. Even though it’s common, envy is a disease that eats at our souls and keeps us living from living a life of thanksgiving and praise. Satan wants us to covet our neighbor’s things because he wants to shift our focus away from the blessings of God.

Today, thank God for His blessings to you. Ask Him to forgive you for any covetousness in your heart.

*brainyquote.com

No comments:

Post a Comment