Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Spacious Place



I called to the Lord in distress; the Lord answered me and put me in a spacious place. The Lord is for me; I will not be afraid. Psalm 118:5-6a

We need to find God, and He cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the Friend of silence. See how nature – trees, flowers, grass – grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence… We need silence to be able to touch souls. Mother Teresa*

I was frazzled. I had been working entirely too much and was at the end of my rope emotionally. One day, when I realized that I was being extremely hard to get along with, I looked into the mirror and said, “You need a vacation. You need refreshing. You need to reconnect with your wife. You need to reconnect with God.”

So, my wife Kathy and I packed our bags and flew to Oregon. We spent a week hiking long trails, praying long prayers, driving through beautiful forests, reading good books, finding high waterfalls, watching young deer, discussing life’s issues, walking beautiful beaches, and taking pictures of colorful starfish.

God, thank You for that spacious place.

*thinkexist.com

No comments:

Post a Comment