Wednesday, June 17, 2009

It's Only Stuff



But collect for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves don’t break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there you heart will be also. Matthew 6:20-21 HCSB

My wife Kathy and I evacuated New Orleans the Saturday evening before Hurricane Katrina struck. A week later, we drove back to southern Louisiana where we stayed in a host home in Baton Rouge. I was concerned about our home so I drove into New Orleans very early the next morning while Kathy remained in Baton Rouge. Before I left, Kathy said, “Even if all we have is destroyed, don’t worry. It’s only stuff.”

Our home was fine for the most part. I did clean out the refrigerator, which was awful. There was a dish of homemade spaghetti sauce that was grotesque with mold. The smell was so bad that I tossed it into the trash.

When I told Kathy what I had done, she was not happy. “I can’t believe you threw away MY dish. That was a wedding present!”

I smiled and said, “Don’t worry, it’s only stuff.”

And I’ve never said that again.

Lord, help me remember that stuff is only stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment